Sunday, June 26, 2011

Beautiful Green Smoothie!

This spring I discovered green smoothies! I stumbled upon them in my studies at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition as a way to get the necessary greens that our bodies need on a daily basis. You can only eat so many salads, which is how I always ate my greens. But by incorporating those greens in a smoothie with fresh fruits, you have a delicious drink that tastes great and has a power house of nutritional value! Using a ratio of fruits to veggies as 60:40 the fruit taste dominates the flavor, yet at the same time the green vegetables balance out the sweetness of the fruit, adding nice zest to it.

Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided into such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to digest, the green smoothies literally start to get absorbed in your mouth. I swear after drinking a green smoothie, I can feel that benefits right away...thinner, healthier, more energy!

Start playing around with green smoothies and begin experiencing the many joys and benefits. Some of the greens you can use are kale, spinach, romaine, parsley, chard and fruits that work well are bananas (for thickness) strawberries, blueberries, peaches, pears, apples.

I use a Magic Bullet and make single serving green smoothies, you can make larger batches with a Vitamix or something equivalent.

Last precious sip  :)
One of my favorites (single serving):

1/2 banana
1 cup strawberries or blueberries or combination of both
1 hand full spinach
1 cup almond milk
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 ice cubes

No comments:

Post a Comment