Monday, June 13, 2011

Kohlrabi for Dinner

Kohlrabi is a weird looking vegetable that comes from the cabbage family and is high is Vitamin C and fiber. Its flavor is delicately sweet, and its texture is moist, yet crisp. Kohlrabi tastes mildly like broccoli with just a hint of cabbage. You're not likely to find it in the grocery store, but when in season the farmer's market is a good bet.

My grandma introduced me to kohlrabi when I was a kid, we would eat it raw with salt. Tonight I wanted to try it cooked, so I peeled the bulb and diced it thin along with sliced carrots, green onion and the kohlrabi greens (minus the stem). I cooked the kohlrabi, carrot and onion in olive oil until tender. I then added the kohlrabi greens and cooked 2-3 minutes longer. With some salt and pepper, this was a delicious side dish to grilled chicken and brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment