Friday, June 10, 2011

From "I Can't Run" to Hooked

There was a time when I said "I can't run" – actually all through school and my 20's. I would try and fail because I would head out the front door and take off running. No warm up, no pacing and by the end of three blocks I was doubled over. This just affirmed my "I can't run" attitude. Then one day the gal in the cubicle next to mine at the Department of Health told me I could run. She was a runner and was healthy and energetic and I wanted to be like her. She told me I was approaching running the wrong way and introduced me to the run/walk method of training. So in my 30's I became a runner! Following the run/walk training, it wasn't long and I was running 3 miles each day and finished my first 5K. I was hooked!

Now that I am in my 40's, running along with proper nutrition, helps me to harness all of those changes happening to my body and my mind during this wonderful time we call mid-life.

Here is a great link that offers "6 Benefits of Running" by Jacquie Cattanach.
http://bit.ly/iKcwGd

No comments:

Post a Comment