Sunday, May 22, 2011

Coleslaw Test

Coleslaw is a summer picnic staple and goes hand in hand with baked beans and a good hamburger or hotdog. I have always liked the old standby creamy variety, but with my new wellness initiative, I was willing to try a different recipe I found in this months Runner's World. My test market was going to be at our fundraiser cook-out for Relay for Life. But wait, my husband says, you have to appeal to the masses and the healthy recipe was not going to do that for him. So I compromised – I am nothing if not flexible! I made a bowl of the standby creamy and a bowl of healthy. At the end of the evening, which variety to you suppose was almost gone? Not the one that was supposed to appeal to the masses. Here is the extremely simple recipe for you to test out with your masses!

Asian-style Coleslaw
Skip the mayonnaise, which ups the fat. Toss cabbage (which packs cancer-fighting compounds) with carrots, scallions, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, and sesame oil, which aids in absorbing nutrients. In a hurry? Buy a bag of coleslaw mix which includes the cabbage and carrot already shredded.

No comments:

Post a Comment