Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Don't Throw Those Radish Greens

Sunday I came home from the farmer's market with a beautiful bunch of radishes. As I was cleaning them I thought about the greens and how I typically would just throw them away, but why? I did a Google search and found several recipes and uses for radish greens! I used them in place of spinach in a green smoothie with fresh fruit. You can use them in salads, sandwiches or any other recipe that calls for greens. Not only are radish greens edible, the leaves are the most nutritious part of the plant – a significant source of calcium, iron, magnesium, folate, vitamin A, C, K and other nutrients. Conventionally-grown leafy greens tend to be susceptible to containing high amounts of pesticide residue, so it is highly recommend to use organic radishes when you plan to eat the greens. They have a short frig life so use them within a day or two. Give them a try this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment